sm
 

  Mission Statement  

BULLOCK COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL

MISSION STATEMENT

Bullock County High School is a rural public school, which offers a broad range of growth and developmental activities for students seeking to enrich their quality of life through formal education.  The mission of Bullock County High School is to provide quality educational programs that prepare all our students to become productive citizens and to successfully compete in a global society.  We will accomplish this by providing a safe and caring learning environment with high academic standards taught by a staff committed to continuous improvement, acceptance of diversity, and recognition of the value of community support and involvement

  About The School  

SCHOOL HISTORY

Through the course of time Bullock County High School has gone through a series of changes, from changes in school structure to changes in school name.  Beginning as Union Springs Public School, to Carver, and unto Union Springs High School, Bullock County High School has become a great institution of learning.

In the year of 1886, the Union Springs Public School was organized with Professor Graves as Superintendent of Education.  Among the first instructors were Professor Jack Turrepin, B.H. Ware,  John Stakely and Ragland.  The school grades were from one through six.  Mr. I.W. Jones was the principal.

A few years later, the school grades were expanded to include the first to eighth grades.  The majority of the students who attended the school were Methodist, in addition to pupils of other faiths.  In 1911, Professors A.W. Williams became principal of Union Springs Public School.  Union Springs Public went only to the eighth grade until 1919, when the ninth grade was added.  In 1924, Union Springs Public School was then expanded to the tenth grade.

In 1948, Union Springs Public School was changed to Carver High School.  The school was named in honor of Dr. George Washington Carver, the famous black scientist.  Mr. Carl Calloway served as principal of Carver  High School from 1948 until 1951.  In 1951, Mr. Leroy Raife succeeded Mr. Carl Calloway and became principal of Carver High School until 1956.  Mr. Ernest L. Warren began serving as acting principal in 1956, and replaced the former principal, Mr. Leroy Raife.  On October 1, 1953, the county system and the city school system of Bullock County united to form the Bullock County School System.

Until the opening of Union Springs Public School, black students who wanted a high school education had to seek schools out of the county.  Even though the people of Bullock County were proud to finally have a school, the local citizens became outraged at the deplorable conditions of the school building.  Consequently in 1959, a main building a vocational agriculture building were erected on the present school site, on Sardis Road, with Mr. Theodore White, Sr. serving as principal.

More additions were soon made to the physical plant.  In 1966, the new wing was added.  During the years of 1967 to 1968 the gymnasium was constructed.  In 1971, the science wing, cafeteria, and library were enlarge and renovated.  In 1971 to 1972 a survey was made by the State Department of Education approving Carver High School as a fully developed high school.  In 1970 there were four high school in existence within the county-Merritt High, Bullock County Technical, and Union Springs High School.  In 1975, the Bandroom was added to the Union Springs High School site.  Still in 1976, the name again was changed to its present name, Bullock County High School.

In the year of 1977 to 1978, the vocational courses of Bullock County High School were added as a part of the curriculum.  The expansion of the new wing led to the addition of four classrooms.  Overall, the school has progressed successfully with the help of fine principals.  Principals over the past 25 years have include Mr. Theodore White, Sr., Mr. Percy Carey, Mr. Charles Carter, and the present principal, Mr. Bennie C. Johnson, Jr.

By the fall of 1992, the Bullock County High School had been extended to grades seven through twelve from its original level of grades nine through twelve.  Along with its increasing student body, additional classrooms were built.   The buildings were classified into sections of one hundred to five hundred.


MOTTO

RECOGNIZING AND CELEBRATING CHANGES

WITH SMALL WINS!